***Islandwide delivery every Wed & Fri. Use code FOODIE5 for $5 OFF!!(Valid for first time customers)***

183 Jalan Pelikat #B1-36, Singapore 537643

This is the last week of school holidays for many. If you're not among the lucky ones who snapped up VTL tickets before the rules changed (again!) chances are you (like me) are feeling the fatigue of planning things for the kids to stay busy! 

If you're looking for ideas to DIY at home, here's a fab one - get the kids to make their own puffy paints! They're non-toxic, take only minutes to make and are mad fun because it involves 'cooking' the paintings in the microwave! 

Why do I love this activity? 

1. Its cheap (practically free!) and non-toxic.

2. Needs simple ingredients 

3. Fun Science Lesson               

 Ingredients:                                        

- 1 cup All-Purpose flour

- 2 tsp Baking Powder

- 1/4 cup Table Salt 

- Water, as required

- Food colouring, few drops (gel or liquid either will do)

 Equipment:

- Measuring cups & spoons

- Whisk or fork for mixing the ingredients

- Muffin tray (optional) for mixing the colours 

- Wooden craft/ ice-cream sticks

- Cotton buds or brushes to paint

- Card stock paper

 To make:

1. Using a whisk or a fork, mix all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) in a bowl.

  

2. Scoop 2 tbsp of the dry mix into each 'well' / section of your muffin tray. Using a teaspoon gradually add water to each section and stir with a wooden kraft stick to mix it into a smooth paste - kind of like a thin cake batter / blended yoghurt. 

Note: Store any remaining 'dry-mix' in an air tight container for a later day!  

3. Add a few drops of food colouring to each section. Stir well to incorporate and make the 'paint' a uniform colour. Make up as many colours as you like!

 4. Let your little one go nuts painting onto paper or card stock! Thick paper works best.

 5. Once they're done painting, pop the artwork onto a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 10-12 seconds. The paint will puff up and the surface of the paint will be dry. 'Cooking' any longer than 12 seconds will result in a crackly, brittle paint. All done!  

 

Getting your child actually sit down in one place and be engaged in an activity that needs little adult supervision for one whole hour? MAJOR Parenting win! :)