As a mum to a very active pre-schooler, I am always on the mission to create healthy yet tasty snacks for K to enjoy when she is home from school. These tasty sweet potato pizza bites, hit just the spot and are great as an after school snack or a special weekend breakfast.
They're a hit with little ones and grown up's alike and easy to throw together for last minute play dates too!
Why is this good? Sweet potatoes are abundant in beta-carotene and vitamins A,B1-6, C & K. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet-tasting but their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, helping to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy.
Ingredients: (makes 2-3 kiddie servings)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 tbsp finely grated carrot
- 2 tbsp finely grated brocolli
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3-4 tbsp tomato paste (from a tin)
- salt, pepper to taste
- few tablespoons of water
- 2-3 tbsp grated mozzarella
- dried oregano to garnish
- few tablespoons of olive oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Leaving the skin on, slice the sweet potato into 1cm thick rounds. Brush with some olive oil and arrange the sweet potato discs on the tray. Bake at 180deg C for 5 min.
2. In a medium sauce pan, saute the garlic and shallot in a 1 tbsp of olive oil, till soft. Add in the finely grated veggies, tomato paste and a few tablespoons of water and cook for 4-5 min till sauce is thick but easily spreadable. Add an extra tablespoon of water if the sauce is too thick.
3. Spread the tomato sauce prepared in step 2 on the baked sweet potato slices (step 1). Top with grated mozzarella. Bake at 180 deg C for 6-8 min, until cheese melts and is lightly golden.
4. Sprinkle on some dried oregano and enjoy!